Chinatown..Take Two

OCTOBER 26

Another experience that I had was going to Chinatown with my roommate, who is from China. I had been to Chinatown before with some of my exchange friends but this was an entirely different experience. She knew the best places to buy certain products and some people gave us better prices than what was marked because she was their “country-fellow.” She also knew about the best restaurant to go to because  she goes there when she misses food that tastes like home. We went to DongBei, which is a restaurant chain in North East China and we ate good for relatively cheap! It was a very nice experience.

A rather funny experience that I noticed also living in an Eastern culture instead of a Western one is the difference in the idea of expressing emotions. In Asian cultures, it is very awkward and rare to hear or tell your parents that you love them. Contrastingly, in American culture, it is very normal and acceptable to do so.

Having been away from my family and friends for two and a half months has caused me to become a bit homesick. I am starting to miss home cooked meals and genuine hugs.  It’s true that you never know what you have until it’s gone. Fortunately for me, hugs and home cooked meals are only gone temporarily.  Xie Xie!