Bye, Singapore. Until Next Time.

I am flooded with emotions as I sit through this extremely long plane ride, which signifies the end of my study abroad experience.  It is hard to believe that my time in Southeast Asia has come to an end and that there are so many people that have become a part of my life that I may never see again. I am just so grateful for having such an experience that makes saying goodbye so hard. It is funny that on this plane ride there is not much to do and it provides me with the perfect time to reflect on the past four months of my life. Having the opportunity to study abroad has allowed me grow in ways I did not expect it to and I am extremely grateful for it. This past semester has made me hardier, more patient, more reflective, grateful, humble, and wiser. I am not the same person I was when I left America. As I think back to my hectic, surprising and emotion-filled first day in Asia it reminds me that life tends to go in full circle, with my last day in Asia also being relatively hectic, slightly surprising, and emotion-filled but for different reasons. 
To try to fully recap my study abroad experience in this short piece is a taxing task but I will do my best. After a few months of preparation and lots of emotional goodbyes, I set off on August 5th to spend the next four months of my life studying in Singapore. Leaving America, I was quite the inexperienced traveler, not quite sure what to expect, not sure of the level of autonomy I would need to live on my own, not particularly familiar with life too far outside of my comfort zone, and not as mature as I find myself to be now. What I did have going for me was that I came into the experience excited, open minded, and prepared to grow as much as I could from this humbling adventure.
Upon arriving in Singapore I found myself amidst many other exchange students who were excited, experiencing culture shock, but also very eager to immerse ourselves a new culture. During the first few weeks I found it very easy to make lots of acquaintances, a nice handful of which went on to become important characters in this chapter of my life’s story. There is so much to be told about other cultures that I would have never have learned if I had not bothered to make friends that are from different parts of the world. One of the main cultures I got to learn about was Chinese, from my roommate Vivian. We would talk for hours on end about our cultures, views of the world, and the future. I made quite a few friends that are from different parts of Asia and learned about their various types of food, languages, generally collectivistic cultures, and the things they place value on while also being able to reciprocate it. The friends I made from Europe, Africa, and Australia were also very memorable and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the different aspects of culture that are present in other cultures of the world.
            To say the education system in Singapore was interesting was an understatement. I found some similarities between Nanyang Technological University and Central Michigan University and some profound differences. NTU was recognizably similar as a university in that the teachers here also seem to truly care about student’s success, lectures are held a couple of times per week for each class along with office hours, extracurricular activities are available, and students are hard working. The main differences I found were in the idea of tutorials, final examination procedures, and being able to monitor your grades. Tutorials at NTU are held once a week for each course, allowing a TA to help recap and provide additional addition to supplement each lecture. Final examinations lasted three weeks and were administered by a group of invigilators in a testing room instead of lecture halls. And grades were not accessible for the most part during the semester. While Blackboard had the space for you to monitor grades, most professors did not seem to stay updated with grades throughout the semester. You were just expected to do your absolute best on every assignment and hope you are doing well. Also, grades are administered on a curve and your grade depends on how well you do in comparison to your classmates. Classes were not too difficult but the culture of classes was much different than what I am used to.
            With Singapore being a multicultural society, it was not difficult to find people of different cultural backgrounds living and working in harmony. Singaporeans also pride themselves on being global citizens and open to learning about cultures outside of their own. Living in Singapore I was mainly exposed to Chinese, Indian, and Malay culture. I was able to partake in holiday celebrations such as Deepavali, Mid Autumn festival during this semester and it has been a nice gateway into learning about other Southeast Asian cultures.  In addition to the immersion of Asian culture through people and food in Singapore, I had the opportunity to travel on short trips to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Philippines and learn heaps about those cultures as well. Seeing the ways of life for people in other countries has given me a greater appreciation for diversity. As the world becomes even more diverse, it is important to appreciate and learn about other cultures. People from different cultures seem to have different, but equally valid ways of looking at the world. I also learned about concepts that do not even exist or are rare in my culture are common in others such as Singaporean kiasu, Japanese hokikimori, and the idea of enemyships.  I would encourage everyone to take on experiences where they will be exposed to diversity and multiculturalism; it can truly alter the way you look at the world. I think all students should study abroad. My advice would be to choose a country or region that you find particularly interesting, be open to experiences, talk to locals and set goals for your time studying abroad.
            This semester has made an impact on the way I will take on CMU when I come back. This semester has allowed me to become a much stronger student. By having to compete for grades, I really had to step my studying up and really stay on top of it. Since I did not know how well I was doing or how well others were doing I had to do my absolute best. During finals weeks I studied from dawn to dusk in preparation for exams and it really paid off. I had never spent that much time studying in my life but it is nice to know that my limits are much further than I though.
            Being abroad will also have an impact on my life in general. Living on my own has allowed me to gain practical skills that I can use in everyday life. One of the most obvious is traveling. I have learned how to find and navigate the various types of transportation that I had absolutely no experience with before. I also had to truly budget during this time. I had to monitor how much I was spending on food, entertainment, travel, souvenirs, and personal items because I had a set amount of money to live off of during the semester abroad. My communication skills have improved greatly as a result of this semester. I was required to give presentations for all classes at some point in the semester, I had to effectively learn to understand the various accents that were thrown at me on a daily basis, and I needed to be able to effectively communicate to people that did not speak English using nonverbal communication. My desire and ability to maintain interpersonal relationships has also been enhanced as a result of being abroad. Not only did I have to focus on relationships that were forming here in Singapore, I had to actively nurture relationships with friends and family back home. It is certainly not easy to keep up with people that you would normally run into during daily activities from such a long distance.

            All in all, this study abroad experience has certainly been one that I will never forget. It has been lots of fun, exciting, and filled with joy while sometimes being sad, confusing, and lonely.  It has caused me to completely leave my comfort zone, become a better communicator, world traveler, and global citizen. This has given me a more open-minded view of the world while also realizing that anything is possible with faith, passion, and hard work. I am sad that this chapter of my life is coming to an end but that only gives room for the next chapter to begin. The plane trip is coming to an end and we will be reaching America shortly. I am looking forward to being greeted with lots of love from my family and friends as I step off the plane and turn the page to start a new chapter of my life. Zai jian!