Frequent Flyer

September 20, 2014

Fun fact: traveling to Singapore was my first experience being outside of the United States!
...Even More Fun Fact : My first time flying in an airplane was this past April.
...THE MOST FUN FACT: (drumroll please....) Since living in Singapore, I have been painting the sky and traveling to various different countries on weekend trips!

Living in Southeast Asia has allowed me the opportunity to travel and it is much more exciting than I could have imagined. So far, I have checked off Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia and I have plans for another trip soon.

My first trip was to Bangkok, Thailand. I went on the trip with other American and European students that are also on exchange. We lived in a hostel for the entire weekend and met people from all around the world. During the time in Thailand, I felt like I did not want to leave. There was so much cultural history there, the people were nice and genuine and the food was amazing. We visited temples, saxophone clubs, street markets, got Thai massages, and spa treatments. On our last night in Thailand, we were invited out to dinner with a local American who moved to Thailand and he taught us a great deal about his life, the culture, and why he chose to live in Thailand. 
Awesome temples in Bangkok, Thailand 
Mango Sticky Rice, my favorite
snack from Bangkok
Chicken Coconut Lime Soup









We found someone all the way
in Thailand with a Central shirt
#FireUpChips



My second trip was to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. A few exchange students and I took a four-hour bus trip there for a weekend. We also stayed in a hostel during this time. Hostel accommodation is a very cheap alternative to hotels; I believe our rooms were about $11 a night. I was not familiar with hostels at all until I went to Bangkok. Hostels are very friendly, clean, simple, and full of learning. I slept in a 6 bed mixed room with strangers from all over the world. Each person gets their own space with a bed, a locker to lock your suitcase and things in, pillows, blankets, and breakfast. It was much safer than I expected because the first night I was a bit frightened by the whole idea. In Malaysia, we viewed temples, mosques, saw a real cave, met a few monkeys, shopped, partook in a fish spa, and once again, tried a lot of food. I tried a baby octopus, it was decent, I probably would not eat it a second time though. Food in Southeast Asia is much cheaper than what I have experienced in the states. You can expect to get a full meal with about $5.

Tomorrow, I will be heading to Bali, Indonesia. Bali is one of the top tourist places to visit in Southeast Asia because it is like paradise, lots of beaches, spas, sights, and food. We will be flying there and living in hotels instead of hostels. Since Bali is a big place, we will live in two different cities while we’re there: Kuta and Seminyak. I’m very excited about this upcoming trip, a break from school is much needed!

Fun fact: $1 United States is worth 10,000 Indonesian rupiah so I’m going to be a millionaire tomorrow.