Class Is In Session!

OCTOBER 12, 2014

Dajia hao! This is week 10 of classes and I must say, they are going well. I just had an exam today and I am sure I did pretty well on it. I found it very interesting that your grades are dependent on how well you work in comparison to your classmates using the bell curve. The culture in Singapore is much more competitive than in the United States, which is more collaborative. I found that many local students preferred to study during the recess week as opposed to the exchange students who decided to travel.  The difference is that many exchange students are taking their courses with the pass/fail option so grades are less competitive. 
            There were quite a few other academic cultural differences that I found between attending Nanyang Technological University and Central Michigan University.  First, many of the lectures are recorded by the university and posted online. I thought of this as very interesting because some people would just not come to classes that have recorded lectures. I would feel guilty if I did not attend class so I have been to every lecture but I noticed that some students take advantage of this fact. I did, however, find the recorded lectures especially beneficial when the time came to study for midterms. The second thing I noticed is that for each class, a copy of the previous year’s final exam is posted online. My initial reaction was “where is the academic integrity in that?” I then realized that this allowed students to prepare better for exams and have a better idea of what to study as opposed to going into the exam hoping you have studied the correct material. And finally I noticed that all of my textbooks (except Chinese language) are written by American authors. I did not know that the rest of the world used American textbooks and research findings so heavily. As a result of using these textbooks, I sometimes feel uncomfortable in classes like Health Psychology, which often draws on statistics or facts of American health and everyone looks at me as if to see my response. I’ve heard most of these statistics on health already and it is one of the many reasons I am going into the health field. The same thing happens in Cultural Psychology: many statistics are about America and people look to me to comment or to see if I fit the statistic.  I also would like to hear more statistics on Asian countries because I know a lot about America already and would like to focus my attention on a broader perspective.
            Since the semester is only 13 weeks long with a three week exam period, the semester is coming to an end. I will have four finals in total, three in one week and one in the following one. I plan to start studying next week (week 11) and I have already drawn up a daily plan. I have to remind myself of the quote “ If you fail to plan, you plan to fail” and keep that in mind as I prepare and motivate myself for these rigorous exams. Until next time… Zai jian!
The Last Day of My Chinese Class